Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I don't know much...

As I was getting out of my car returning from school, I had one of those out of body experiences. You know the ones I'm talking about. When you've reached the point of absurd and you finally step back to actually realize it. I was sounding as close to Aaron Neville as a thin, white 37 year old can sound singing the line "I don't know much, but I know I love you..." At first, I didn't know where the line or the song originated because I didn't have the radio on (and if I did I would hope it would not be tuned to a station that would regularly spin this song) but then, after laughing at how ridiculous I was, realized that it actually followed a line of thinking on the drive home. I've realized how little I know. Little I know about language, little I know about theology, little I know about much of anything. But I know I love God. I know I love His mercy. I know I love His perfect and sovereign plan for the world and for my life. I know I love and cherish the forgiveness that was extended to a sinner like me. I know I love the dependent fact that without Him, I would not exist. I really don't know much, but I know I love Him...and join with me in finishing the rest of the chorus (don't pretend you don't know it) - 'and that may be all I need to know.'

There's more to learn, most definitely. But ultimately, my prayer in this whole journey is that what is learned, what fills this brain and heart of mine, leads me to love Him even more deeply.