Friday, August 27, 2010

What are you for?

Today was convocation and what felt like a very monumental time for us newbies. Within the service, we all stood and he reminded us of our calling, our commission and our commitment to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I don't know what lately has been going on in me but I've been a tearful mess more often than not. Joyful tears when I think of the love of Christ, humble tears when I think of what He's saved me from, and expectant tears, when I think of how each one of us He uses. What a tremendous honor to serve the King.

A couple of thoughts that stand out to me from today:
1. The reminder that the Gospel is at work in us and through us but it is never dependent on us. We all fall into the temptation to ride on our gifts and abilities slowly beginning to believe that we are responsible for God's work. But then we screw up. He stressed the question: "Where are you going to go when (not if) you sin?" The need for a Savior is vital to a ministry's success. He alluded to a time when Martin Luther was encouraging a friend of his who had failed some of his congregation members. I'm paraphrasing but Luther's response was something along the lines of "Do not for a second believe that you are not a hard-boiled sinner." But always in partnership with that thought is the mercy and compassion of our Savior, who knows how we've failed and embraces us in the work of Christ. More tears.

2. My first theology course was a pleasant surprise. One major nugget that came of this morning was this:

"Don’t tell people what you’re against, tell them what you are for."

The tendency in learning theology is to see it as a platform for argument and division. I loved his perspective of telling people what you believe rather than taking apart what someone else believes. Our tendency as human beings and as Christians is to 'cast out' those who may hold a contrary belief and declare them 'wrong.' And sure there may be justification to declare someone's thinking as 'wrong' but instead of staying there, focus on communicating to them what it is we believe. What it is we love. And why it is we love it.