Thursday, August 26, 2010

First Day of School (and Blog)


If I'm going to get anything done and eventually post anything about this experience of seminary, without getting tangled up in all of the pressures to be clever or witty, I have to make a conscious effort to write without any kind of audience in mind.  So that being said, if Chad is the only one to ever read this blog, than he definitely will succeed in reaching his audience.  

Today was the first day of school.  The typical pictures of yellow school busses, Snoopy lunchboxes and mandatory pictures in front of the house need to be replaced with me riding my motorcycle to class, saving money by eating at home after class and receiving my less-than-flattering student ID picture.  

Beginning Greek was the first order of business today.  The professor reminded us of something that has been a theme over the past week through orientation.  This learning doesn't end with you.  Every labor, every work of memorization, every alpha to omega of this process is about being equipped to equip.  

We learned the alphabet today:
All babies get diarrhea eventually.  Zorro ate the ice caps.  Let's munch nuts excessively, okay?  Pigs really smell terrible.  Under five chairs, psychologists wink.  (our first quiz is tomorrow).  

Learning my own deficiencies in knowing languages, even the english language.  See?  I even started that sentence without a subject.  Chad is learning his own deficiencies in knowing languages. 

Second order of business was Preparation and Delivery of Sermons.  Some gleanings that I know will stay with me were the humility that is necessary in order to preach as well as the power of God's word, not the preacher, through the Holy Spirit, to do the work of change in a person's heart.  A couple of quotes that came of it:

I have often lifted up my hands in astonishment and said “how can God bless such feeble instrumentality?” Charles Spurgeon
"The meaning of the passage is the message of the sermon.   The truth of the passage is the message of the preaching.  The authority of the author is the authority of the preacher.  The power of the Word becomes the privilege of the preacher."

This whole morning really was an exercise in humility.  I know I don't deserve to be here, to be taught and shepherded by some great and wise people.  But God has given the blessing and I am completely grateful.  I left this class reminded of the awesome privilege of being God's son and the awesome responsibility of serving as one of His instruments.