Saturday, July 21, 2012

Before the Throne of God Above

Psalm 2:7-12 (my translation)
I will recall the statutes of the Lord.  He said to me: "You are my son.  Today I am begetting you.  Ask from me and I shall give the nations as your inheritance and as your possession:  the ends of the earth.  You will shatter them by the rod of iron.  As a potter's vessel, you will break them to pieces.  And now kings will have insight and correctly be judges of the earth."  Serve the LORD in fear and worship with trembling.  Kiss the son lest he will be angry and you will perish on the way because you will burn as pieces of kindling in his anger.  Happy are those who seek refuge in him.

Here is a picture of the trust the Father places in the work and authority of His Son.  This is by no means a gentle picture of God but this imagery serves both as a warning and as a comfort.  Under the protection of the Son's perfect leadership and authority, is safety and refuge.  Without it, our sin demands justice, judgment and utter destruction.  This psalm serves as a call out to leaders but also to anyone under authority.  The picture of kissing the son, worshiping and bowing down before Him as the LORD of all, provides us with an image of authority and service.  We are His or we are not His.  This psalm does not leave us any room for middle ground.

Find rest my soul, in Christ alone.